7.22.2013

Farmhouse kitchen...

farmhouse renovationsBehold the farmhouse kitchen in all its original glory. Do you remember this photo?! If I'm remembering correctly, I think I took it on the day we closed. I wrote about the things we did in this post (we painted the walls and cabinets, refinished the hardwood floors, etc), but we never took care of the back splash. It was a layer of old wallpaper and faux wood paneling nailed over a layer of old linoleum...that was thumb tacked to the wall studs. Hideous. I ripped out the paneling behind the stove, but we ran out of money and didn't want to replace the entire wall, so we just painted over the linoleum and called it a day. This is a real-life renovation, my friends- we run out of money fairly regularly.

Two weekends ago, I was trolling pinterest and noticed that I had pinned several images with horizontal paneling on my farmhouse ideas board. Yes! We ran down to the hardware store, picked up two sheets of cheapo bead board paneling, nailed it up horizontally, caulked it, painted it, and voilĂ ! A temporary solution in less that two hours (and for less than $60). I took these photos while PRH was working on it, so it still looks a little wonky. The caulk and paint completely hid the seams that you see here. We're really happy with the results!


12 comments:

Anna said...

I love this so much! We are in need of a backsplash on one of our kitchen walls (behind the stove). I wallpapered the opposite wall and it was a pain so I talked myself out of doing it behind the stove. This might be a good option! Miss your posts by the way! Loved the barn wedding!

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

What a great difference! We're getting ready to finally do something with our kitchen, can you believe it?! Im going to have to re-visit your initial post about paint. The two tone cabinet look is exactly what I want.

A Beautiful Party said...

Can you guys come to my house next and do some renovations? I'll pay you in free childcare and lots of balloons!

The Belvedere- Alyssa said...

So crazy! I came to your blog to look for your kitchen reno post today! A house we are looking at reminded me of your 'before' kitchen and I wanted to send the 'after' to my husband. Funny how that happens!

Cheryl Cochran said...

Wow, this is a great looking solution. I might need to do this in my own kitchen. I can't stand the old stained backsplash and it doesn't seem like we'll be able to afford a complete reno any time soon.

Julia Fain said...

I like this a lot! We used the same product in our garage recently to cover up where drywall was missing.

Anonymous said...

its (not it's) glory

cardinalkay said...

Whaaaaaaaat!!??
I mean, I knew that caulk was pretty much a cure-all when it comes to woodwork + such . . .
. . . but it disguises the seams when one installs bead board paneling horizontally in one's kitchen?
Oh, + kudos for the reality check about running out of money.
I honestly have been having doubts about my new blog, because we have such a limited budget!
Love your blog!
KAY @ redbirdv.wordpress.com

Emily said...

I love the contrast between your white cupboards and the dark lower cupboards and countertops! Lovely.

Matt C said...

Love the new look of kitchen and its walls!

Builders Cleaning Perth

Toby said...

This is fantastic!

jessica said...

Very nice! I'm doing a little redecorating in my kitchen. This looks great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...