1.20.2014

Farmhouse kitchen...

Before photos of our kitchen always make me feel a little queasy. Before we bought this place, I remember staying up late at night wondering how in the world we were going to make the house habitable. Some of you may remember that our appraisal required us to complete a ton of work before we even owned the house, which, in hindsight, was a huge gamble. The biggest project was putting a new roof on the house, but we also had to put down flooring in the kitchen, bleach the hell out of the cabinets, pay for a structural engineer do an inspection and pay for a pest inspection. It was a frustrating process, but by the time we owned the house, we knew exactly what needed to be done and started immediately. The photo below is from the day we closed (look how tiny the kiddos are!).   

This photo is the next day. That horrible faux-stone paneling had to go first thing. Yikes.


And this is 3 days later. We went through and sprayed every surface white.


This was taken just a couple weeks later, after the floors were refinished and after we had moved in. 


Painting the lower cabinets made a huge difference. Swapping out the drawer pulls for Martha Stewart brass pulls from Home Depot was another easy, inexpensive change. We had planned to take out the green countertops, but I've come to really like the color and the quirkiness. The counters add a certain charm to the kitchen. I'm convinced that if we had nice, brand new countertops, they'd make the rest of the room look like complete crap. I have to tell myself things like that in order to keep myself from constantly feeling envious of all of the gorgeous kitchens out there (thanks, Pinterest).  


What we will eventually replace is this wonky work surface that we found in the barn. The height is great (it was previously used as a work bench) and it's perfectly functional, but I'm not a huge fan of how it looks. Some days I feel like we have enough old stuff in our house, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure what I'm looking for...something with a flat work surface and nicer legs, I think.

Notice the spot above the stove in this photo. That strip of yellow is linoleum that had literally been thumb tacked to the studs in the wall (more about that in this post).


We popped up a couple sheets of bead board and here we are.  Please excuse the quality of these photos- two little people left their greasy little fingerprints all over the lens. You get the idea, though. At some point the old electric stove caught on fire and sent me into hysterics. Thankfully, my parents had just installed a beautiful commercial-grade stove (dream!) in their kitchen, so they gave us their gas stove.   

 And here's a random shot that includes the newest  member of our family, a rescued kitten named Olive. More about her later.



The Mrs. Smith's pie tin artfully disguises a little dent in the wall. I have no shame.


It makes PRH crazy, but my dusty plants (the only I've managed to keep alive) love this spot on the counter. Those feathers on the window sill are actually carved wood feathers that I found at a friend's antique store. Score!


We replaced the faux-stone wall with sheet rock that still needs to be trimmed in spots. We put up these display wires to hold all of the drawings that come home from school. As you can see, it gets a bit cluttered, so we purge it about twice a month. That old fridge needs to be purged soon, too.
 

Here are the before and after photos side by side. Vaseline-lens aside, I think it's a vast improvement...and I don't feel queasy anymore.  

21 comments:

Amanda Arnold said...

I'm so so glad you're posting again! Your style inspires me visually more than anything else I see on the internet! Your kitchen is gorgeous!

Design Scouting said...

Yay for posting again!! Your kitchen is a dream - don't let Pinterest get you down. Love the green counters.

Jessica said...

This renovation is amazing!!! Way to go!

kristin said...

I think you're one of the first people I saw do the dark lower cabinets and really embrace brass, too. The kitchen is looking great and I'm so glad you're posting again! I've missed your blogging! :)

Tammy said...

Count me among the folks who are so glad to see your posts again. And this particular one comes at a good time. My husband and I are in the process of selling our beautifully renovated (but sadly, too small) heritage house in order to buy a much bigger fixer-upper. We desperately need the space, but I woke up last night at 3am and couldn't fall asleep for a couple of hours because I was fretting that we've bitten off more than we can chew. Your photos are incredibly reassuring because -- and please don't take this the wrong way -- your before pics are pretty crazy. You'd probably laugh if you saw mine. :)

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic result (greasy fingers or no greasy fingers)! Love this so much. And the FLOOR is gorgeous. You guys should be thrilled and proud of yourselves for putting so much of yourselves into this. Super impressive!
Susan / Stockholm

Brenda said...

Glad to see you back!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

You're back! Hooray! I would have run screaming from that kitchen but you had a vision and it is looking fabulous.

MarĂ­a { Mesa para cuatro } said...

I'm in love with your kitchen!!! :)
Glad to see you blogging again!

Toni-Louise said...

I'm so happy I found your blog! We've recently purchased our first home and your wonderfully beautiful blog is full of so much inspiration and help. Thank you! x

Anna said...

I love the green counters!

Trina Curran said...

I love your green counter tops. I think they are charming and I would certainly keep them too. :) And your kitty is darling. You've come a long way on your kitchen! It's looking great!

Jennifer Ring said...

Thanks for sharing! I LOVE looking at before and afters! Can you tell me what the dark color you used on the bottom cabinets is? I'm thinking of doing something similar in my old kitchen.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks so much, everyone! :) @Jennifer- the paint color is Valspar's Forest Canopy. It's my fave (very forgiving).
-Abbey

icci design... said...

i love your kitchen!!! that center island with all the art supplies is so amazing!!

Anonymous said...

It's PINTEREST LOVELY! The island is great- spray the legs brass or some other metallic and throw down a big butcherblock or some other cutting board and it will be even more lovely and functional. I'm glad you are back!

Anonymous said...

Love your kitchen.
Wondering where your light fixture in your renovated kitchen is from. Looking for something like that.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

The globe light came from Lowes. Inexpensive and I love how it looks- I have to say that the Edison bulbs aren't the most functional for kitchen lights. We haven't tried a different bulb, though. The light above the sink is vintage.

Unknown said...

You did a great job and the gas stove looks good in there! Like the bottom cabinets being dark also, really chic!

Erin Burke said...

This looks wonderful! I love the quirky counter - it's a great contrast to the dark lowers and brass hardware. So cool.

Katie @ Red House West said...

I just found your blog and I love the kitchen (the original green counters with the dark cabinets and brass pulls are gorgeous) and wandering around your posts. Your style and home is lovely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...